[lugm.org] Upcoming meetup

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Sun Jul 27 22:02:17 UTC 2014

On 01 Jun 2014, at 8:21 PM, selven <pcthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:

> And yes, very little recognition is given on the island for people who volunteer their time for opensource.

the nature of being a volunteer [1]  is that you don't need, or ask for credit afterwards, eh?  :-)

> But still if we start giving out free consultancy to CORPORATES, at some point why would they feel the need to hire IT staffs? This is something that will be denigrating to IT people.

i think you misunderstand the difference between volunteering some clueful suggestions, and offering to perform an IT overhaul...i volunteer suggestions to "corporates" all the time.  i see it as my responsibility, as a user of the internet.  don't you report things that don't work?  do you expect to be thanked/remunerated for doing that?  it's the same concept really  - volunteer suggestions, and some practical advice on how to fix it, and leave it to them to sort out the rest.
it's when you _make the offer to fix it_, that you start cutting into their internal IT staff time.  pointing out things that are Just Plain Wrong is, just being polite.  at best, they take your voluntary suggestions to heart.  at worst, they ignore you, and you can continue snickering behind your $favourite_beverage about how you know more than they do.  c'est la vie.

> Analogy, A carpenter might decide to create new ways to make a kind of furniture, he might even be willing to teach carpenters the know how, but it would be very weird if he starts dedicating his time giving great furniture for free to MCB because MCB has shitty furniture for example.

that seems quite incomplete as an analogy.  because, the natural extension to this, is that MCB sees that this is actually a great piece of furniture, and then contracts the carpenter to make more of these.

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 10:13 PM, selven <pcthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> dot mu really sux though. We can't havea dot mu hosted in bulgaria...

do you mean the performance of .MU sucks for you?  it doesn't for me at home in JNB:
katala:~ nishal$ date
Sun Jul 27 23:45:48 SAST 2014
katala:~ nishal$ dig +nssearch mu | awk -F ' ' '{print $11, $12, $13, $14 }'
2001:500:14:6010:ad::1 in 18 ms.
204.61.216.10 in 19 ms.
193.0.9.98 in 186 ms.
2001:67c:e0::98 in 195 ms.
195.253.64.5 in 210 ms.
77.72.229.254 in 212 ms.
2a01:5b0:4::5 in 220 ms.
2a01:3f0:0:306::53 in 228 ms.

a quick look at the ns-set for this, tells me that this (.MU) is pretty well anycast.  there are some well known operators there.  perhaps you have a problem with _how_ and _where_ this is anycast, since it seems (from my limited network view) that there isn't a node inside mauritius.  so, imho, a more correct question should be:  why is it that, of the four (3) anycast providers that are carrying .MU, none of them are present on-island?   and, how can we change that?  after all, surely that's the most logical place to be, and if it's anycast, well, it's really quite trivial to deploy a new node, right...?

i can immediately see one way to improve this for me, in JNB, and i'll be writing to the relevant operator after this.  (no - i don't even resolve domains in .mu often at all, but, i can spot an (obvious to me) problem, and, i want to do the Right Thing, and will voluntarily report this to the operator in question...and no, that's not free consulting...it's called making my small portion of the internet more resilient!  which will hopefully make things better for other people too.  and we all profit.  qed)

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Keshwarsingh Nadan <keshwarsingh.nadan at servihoo.net> wrote:
> Blah blah blah & blah. The LUGM mailing list is not the proper list to discuss about slowness of whatever site.

true.  it's probably the wrong place to pick on _a_ particular website.  but, if in the process of doing that, some people that aren't as familiar in the relevant technologies as you might be, learn something, then isn't that a good thing, and, in itself, fulfilling a core objective of the lugm?  i am not an application person, but the post earlier on was interesting enough for me to bookmark to read up about later.  so, thank you to the poster!

> @S Moonesamy ,sorry, that stinks. I highly appreciate your contribution to RFCs, but acting as a dumbass including your previous attempts in criticizing the .mu tld is simply a waste of time.

i think i missed a post in this thread....
i've known SM to be obtuse at times  :-)  and, quite often very stubborn.  i've never known him to be a "dumbass" though.  at least not intentionaly.  and i'd disagree with you;  there are several things that _could_ be fixed w.r.t .MU that can only come out of constructive criticism.  if not from you (the informed locals), then where from ... ?

--n.

[1]  verb [ no obj. ]
freely offer to do something: he volunteered for the job | [ with infinitive ] : I rashly volunteered to be a contestant.
• [ with obj. ] offer (help): he volunteered his services as a driver for the convoy.
• [ reporting verb ] say or suggest something without being asked: [ with obj. ] :it never paid to volunteer information | [ with direct speech ] : “Her name's Louise,” Christina volunteered.
• work for an organization without being paid.
• [ with obj. ] commit (someone) to a particular undertaking, typically without consulting them: he was volunteered for parachute training by friends.