[lugm.org] Suggestions/Improvements - Linuxfest 2013 schedule

Ish Sookun ish at hacklog.in
Mon Nov 25 13:56:02 UTC 2013

Hello Yasir,

Thanks for the feedback. Yup, I know the issue about the exams. Actually,
UoM said the earliest date they could give us was February 2014, when I
contacted them some 2 months ago. The problem was since beginning of the
year I've been pinging Computer Club to get me a date, but their calendar
was already heavy. It's only when I met Ibraahim (current president of CC)
& his team that they lobbied for a date. We got 25th & weren't expecting
exams to be on that day. Still ... when we saw timetables it was kinda sad
but we thought let's go ahead & get it done instead of postponing for next
year.

I really appreciate the help provided by UoM CC folks.

For the presentations, yes, I agree with you. We didn't get the auditorium
before to check, test & prepare ourselves. We couldn't meet earlier to
synchronize and evaluate our presentations. As for being interactive, hmm,
I believe presentation should rather contain more of the talk than
technicalities. Otherwise, it becomes a demo. True, it's good to involve
the audience in the talks, which I tried doing to some extent. We expected
our audience to have both technical & non-technical people.

Demos indeed capture the attention of *those seeking more*. That's exactly
what happened in the lobby. On my end I showed a bunch of students how make
a live pendrive using the *dd* command & we installed Linux Mint on one
laptop (which a student brought). On a second laptop I asked them to
install it themselves and I'll watch. They did it fine, dual booting with
Windows ( : Most of those in the group who had pendrives took a copy of
Linux Mint's iso. Yes, the demos are fruitful & targeted at smaller
audience. Things we should consider for future events, how much time to
allocate for presentations & how much time for demos ... or maybe we do
each of them on separate days to make those less hectic.

I again grab this opportunity to thank everyone for the support.

Cheers!

Ish Sookun

openSUSE Advocate
*www.openSUSE.org <http://www.openSUSE.org>*