[lugm.org] Suggestions/Improvements - Linuxfest 2013 schedule

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Mon Nov 25 18:42:17 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I would like to congratulate the organisers, with a special mention for
Ish, for their hard work :-)

Keep up the spirit. And, remember, Linux and Open Source Software rule!!!

Avinash

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Ish Sookun <ish at hacklog.in> wrote:

> Hello Yasir,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Yup, I know the issue about the exams. Actually,
> UoM said the earliest date they could give us was February 2014, when I
> contacted them some 2 months ago. The problem was since beginning of the
> year I've been pinging Computer Club to get me a date, but their calendar
> was already heavy. It's only when I met Ibraahim (current president of CC)
> & his team that they lobbied for a date. We got 25th & weren't expecting
> exams to be on that day. Still ... when we saw timetables it was kinda sad
> but we thought let's go ahead & get it done instead of postponing for next
> year.
>
> I really appreciate the help provided by UoM CC folks.
>
> For the presentations, yes, I agree with you. We didn't get the auditorium
> before to check, test & prepare ourselves. We couldn't meet earlier to
> synchronize and evaluate our presentations. As for being interactive, hmm,
> I believe presentation should rather contain more of the talk than
> technicalities. Otherwise, it becomes a demo. True, it's good to involve
> the audience in the talks, which I tried doing to some extent. We expected
> our audience to have both technical & non-technical people.
>
> Demos indeed capture the attention of *those seeking more*. That's
> exactly what happened in the lobby. On my end I showed a bunch of students
> how make a live pendrive using the *dd* command & we installed Linux Mint
> on one laptop (which a student brought). On a second laptop I asked them to
> install it themselves and I'll watch. They did it fine, dual booting with
> Windows ( : Most of those in the group who had pendrives took a copy of
> Linux Mint's iso. Yes, the demos are fruitful & targeted at smaller
> audience. Things we should consider for future events, how much time to
> allocate for presentations & how much time for demos ... or maybe we do
> each of them on separate days to make those less hectic.
>
> I again grab this opportunity to thank everyone for the support.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ish Sookun
>
> openSUSE Advocate
> *www.openSUSE.org <http://www.openSUSE.org>*
>

> - Geek by birth ... Linux by choice.
> *  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+*
> *  |H|A|C|K|L|O|G|.|i|n|*
> *  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ *
>

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Yasir MX <yasirmx at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I think this event was a success despite the fact that I was not present
>> from the very beginning. I was present from 13h-13h30
>>
>> The good things I noticed:
>> - Ajay explaining open source to a group of students in lobby
>> - Enough Lugm staff were present
>> - Nirvan was there guiding people to go to the presentation hall
>> - Selven backed nitin up when OS crashed
>>
>> However some things to improve on:
>>
>> - Do not schedule event while there are exams
>> In the morning there were around 100 students and around 13h there were
> [...]

*Avinash Meetoo*
*Founder and CEO of Knowledge Seven*

Call me on 5493-9394 (Mobile) or 464-7446 (Office)
I am on my portal <http://www.avinashmeetoo.com/>,
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/avinashmeetoo>
, Twitter <http://twitter.com/AvinashMeetoo>,
Google+<https://plus.google.com/112364749894178405575>