[lugm.org] BSD is dying says committers

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 19:06:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

Check out:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2011-August/011412.html

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/08/22/msg008819.html

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=131454397819769&w=2

This is something I've been seeing for a long time.

I've tried all 3 BSDs, and honestly they all suck to varying levels.

OpenBSD sucks the least :-)

Seriously, Linux is backed financially, and marketed aggressively.

FreeBSD has some wealthy sponsors, but it's much smaller than
Linux, and with
 time, many will migrate to Linux.

NetBSD has money for targetted developement projects, but globally,
it's still not enough. However, NetBSD is rapidly expanding in
terms of developer base.

OpenBSD progress has been slow since DARPA pulled the funding.
There is enough money to keep running the architecture, and organizing
developer event, but that's it.

Sad state of affairs. BSDs have some really good code & the engineering
is better than Linux.