[lugm.org] Contact infor for interview about FOSS and OLPC in Mauritius

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Sun May 9 09:59:43 UTC 2010

2010/5/9 M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net>:
> Greetings,
>
> I just got the message below from another mailing list. I am a
> freelance writer specialized in Free SW and technology in education,
> see http://mfioretti.com
>
> I would like to know more about this, via short email interviews to
> people involved in OLPC in Mauritius, because I have already written
> about OLPC several times,see
>
> http://stop.zona-m.net/education/proposal-olpc-paraguay-how-manage-sugar-or-other-educational-software
>
> Any feedback is welcome!

Dear Mr Fioretti,

The parties which just won the general elections in Mauritius
mentioned the OLPC twice in their electoral programme:

>> Introduire le programme de « One Laptop Per Child »(OLPC) / One laptop for each Lower VI student

(Literally: We will introduce le « One Laptop Per Child » (OLPC)
programme and each Lower IV student (16-17 years old) will get one
laptop. I understand those are two distinct proposals which so happen
to be on the same line in the electoral programme.)

and

>> Nous avons l’intention de révolutionner la manière dont nous éduquons nos enfants. Nous allons introduire le Programme
« One Laptop Per Child » (OLPC) avec l’objectif de transformer
l’éducation de nos enfants en leur permettant d’avoir accès aux
outils de la technologie moderne qui les aideront à comprendre
l’informatique dès leur plus jeune âge.

(Literally: We intend to bring a revolution in the way children are
educated [in Mauritius.] We are going to introduce the « One Laptop
Per Child »(OLPC) programme with the objective to transform how
children are taught by giving them access to modern technological
tools which will help them understand Information Technology better.

As I wrote in my post on my political blog Elections.mu (see
http://www.elections.mu/2010/05/04/l-informatique-selon-les-deux-alliances/),
this proposal, if implemented, has the potential to greatly contribute
to the development of the country but, of course, it will require a
change in the way teaching is done in the country.

I will gladly help you with your article both as the current PRO of
the Linux User Group of Mauritius (and its initiator more than ten
years ago) and also in my own name (I am an Computer Science educator
at heart after all...)

Please feel free to contact me or any other member of the Board of the
Linux User Group of Mauritius.

Avinash Meetoo

--
avinash at noulakaz.net - http://www.noulakaz.net/ - (230) 493-9394

Those who fail to understand C++ are doomed to reimplement it. Better. [Jez]