[lugm.org] Linux meetup today

jinformatique at riseup.net jinformatique at riseup.net
Mon Sep 28 13:26:29 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I had to answer to this email.

> I now remember why I never tested hangout, its not a FLOSS program.
> So how come a LUG is forcing its members to use a proprietary program,
> unless this event is not officially patronised .by LUGM  There are
> other FLOSS alternatives to video conferencing.
> http://alternativeto.net/software/google-hangouts/?license=opensource

Are you joking to post this kind of link? Did you at least read the
content of the page an read the so called alternatives proposed?

- TextSecure??? How can a messaging app be compared to a vidéo
conferencing service?
- RedPhone, no vidéo support, only audio.
- Linphone supports vidéo, but it crashes the app.
- Tox is still in alpha and not reliable now.
  I won't continue throught the list, I hope you get my point. Please
evaluate what you are proposing like you did with Pidgin.

I myself hate to use proprietary program and I am in favour of only
using FOSS, but there is a way to say it properly.
To help on the topic, here are some alternatives using webRTC you can
try out and get an opinion. It only offers https encryption and no
end-to-end encryption for now.
- https://meet.jit.si/ (Firefox support is coming in v41 or 42), no
mobile support yet
- https://talky.io/ mobile and desktop support, no subscription needed

The day a truly FOSS alternative to google hangout (and skype) will ever
exists, let me tell you that geeks all over the world will use it, LUGM
included!
It's a shame that today, no FOSS alternative works reliably out of the
box. I tried Jitsi to Jitsi but you have to use a TURN server to pass
proxy and do NAT traversal.

The only good FOSS I know would be to install Jitsi Videobridge on a
server and configure clients to use it.
https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiVideobridge

Let us know if you succeed in installing it rather than ranting about
hangout not being a FLOSS program. Everyone knows it. In the meantime
some are being pragmatic and prefer using things that works rather than
nothing.

Jean