[lugm.org] Vidcast on The latest Mozilla firefox vulenrabilities, and the Enterprise world of IT in Mauritius

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 12:06:06 UTC 2015

I think that an "internal" sysadmin is as important as the sysadmin who works on the server-side security.
It's scary that someone can now craft a video file to take control of an adroid device remotely, and the same goes for a desktop running firefox. Now, if a director is running as administrator on windows, and he is using firefox, then this means that an attacker can have the same privileges as an administrator. The consequences can be very dire in terms of passwords stored for hosting accounting, bank accounts, accounting sheets, and even things like business contact details/messages.  
Now, if any of those details are copied or leaked out, the bottomline of the company would be severely affected, as clients move to other competitors, and investors run away.

End-point security is as important as server-side security.
Also, I think that all of the netadmins, sysadmins, and developers. I personally think that few organizations are actully tapping into the full potential of the previously mentioned people. In an increasingly competitive economy, we cannot afford that. 

On Sunday, 27 September 2015, 9:30, Ronny R. <redoverlord at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all
Thing is now: there are 2 types of sysadms
1. take care of internal network2. take care of servers.
Devops would say they do both, but this is not true,Its the jack of all trade thing, so it ends up "master of none"
So when accepting a job as sysadm, ask the employer, which section you will be, else you will find yourself maintaining rewrites in apache, tuning mysql, but also replugging the power cord of the secretary computer.If at least she was not 80kgs, shaved legs, it would be acceptable, but....

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://discuss.lugm.org/pipermail/discuss_discuss.lugm.org/attachments/20150927/8b06a10c/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Discuss mailing list