[lugm.org] duplication of topics

Daniel Shaw danielshaw at protonmail.com
Tue Sep 22 13:10:44 UTC 2015

This is interesting. I've recently re-joined LUGM, but the first few postings over the last few days have no been duplicated.

Then, shortly after reading this and thinking again "weird, I don't see this", suddenly I did get a duplicate! But it's just one post today out of quite a few.

And, what I noticed, is that the thing in common with
Apologies! I hit send instead of save. :-(

... what i noticed, is the thing in common with the example below is that is was sent by Ronny. And if I look at the headers of both I see a few other differences.

First, the initial "Recieved" header is the same:

But then, the next smtp "hop":

Different host/node ID. And also different "for" email addresses. And also different SMTP id.

I've not pasted the rest, but follow this there are differences in time stamp in all the headers. That is from this point on it's separate emails, delivered to the LUGM mailing list server separately.

It appears that this split happens before the message leaves the Gmail systems. From the first SMTP out of google-mail-something to the LUGM MX host, its already duplicated.

So. This is either an issue with Gmail generally. Or an issue with Ronny's gmail specifically.

Cheers,
Daniel