[lugm.org] Linux meetup on Saturday (12:15 to 15:00)

Ashvin Oogorah ashvin1611 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 12:20:29 UTC 2015

I replied on this some time back but didnt see it posted in the discussion
mailing list:

Hi Loganaden,

Just read through your email.
>From my experience working for ISPs, 110ms to US is still quite acceptable,
if not good. May I ask which IP were you measuring your latency against.

Latency is not a really a key differentiator when it comes to VoIP, IM,
video.. In most circumstances, jitter & packet loss would be the ones
causing most problems. ISPs are running IP Telephony and IPTV services over
satellite links with ~600ms latency.  However, things like first shooter
games definitely need fast latency. But then latency goes only as far as
the laws of physics.

As mentioned, latency can be affected by fibre submarine path. Say, there's
some fibre damage on the shortest path as once was the case when fibre was
sabotaged near Egypt which took days for repairs and restoration. In the
meantime, a restoration path is made available possibly going through Asia,
Mumbai and all the way back to Europe. In terms of IP hops its still the
same, but the fibre path distance is longer, thus additional latency.

Another element in the equation is that content is nowadays very much
distributed over CDNs. I would mention the case of facebook when we
established peering with a new provider. After best path selection
(AS-PATH, longest prefix match etc), our traffic to facebook was going
through the new provider with an additional latency of 120ms.  What AS-PATH
does not tell us is how close (physically) is the content.

Last, traffic at ISPs are under contention and quite reasonably demand is
far greater than supply and a need arises to shape traffic, especially
bandwidth hungry apps like P2P. Also, traffic is shaped in contention pools
and when there is contention, queues, latency is impacted.

To say the least, latency is much in control of the ISPs. And they often
have the solution too in the form of what they tend to call value added
services - QoS or prioritisation for voice, video, visio conference etc.

Best Regards,

Ashvin

Ashvin