[lugm.org] Upcoming meetup

Jochen Kirstätter lugm at ios.mu
Thu May 29 15:48:10 UTC 2014

Hi altogether,

as I'm mentioned here... Thanks, BTW. ;-)

On 29/05/2014 18:50, S Moonesamy wrote:
> What are the local industry practices?
>
> What if the company was looking for someone to fix the slow web site
> problem?  Would they ask about that on this mailing list or do they
> have to look abroad, assuming that they have been told that there
> aren't people in Mauritius who are have the knowledge?

Quite frankly, I did business in the past with other local companies and
unfortunately I had to stop it in order to keep my own business going.
As you already described it, there is a kind of slowness in this whole
procedure. Taking into consideration that there are so many
"professional" web agencies out there on the island which simply produce
only crap, it's kind of tough to keep anyone being serious about their
online activities looking for professionals in the country. Please don't
take this as a generalisation but the number of web sites seen leaves a
weird impression...

Well, topics like proper performance, SEO and WAI handling are
supposedly "standard" for a professional web agency but unfortunately
this doesn't sell for a huge number of businesses in Mauritius. The
general argument more or less is like this:

Web Agency (WA): "Here's our quote for your new website."
Customer (C): "Oh, could you lower the price?"
WA: "Yes, of course..."
C: "Thanks, much appreciated. We have a deal!"
Work is in progress and as good as done
WA: "We're almost done, and going to invoice you next week."
C: "You know, about that price... we have to talk."

Remaining outcome is your imagination.

The work spent on performance, proper SEO and the outlook of conversion
is not honoured and therefore, most of the web agencies are on the quick
buck rather than providing professional results. Why? Because no one
will pay it.

But when it comes to feedback, like "web site is slow", "SSL rating is
bad", etc. who is going to be blamed? Of course, the web agency because
the (partly or even still unpaid) job done has never been completed - on
customer's behalf and behaviour.

Now, there is another variable in this game... Line of reporting and
responsibility.

Sure, there are web agencies here in Mauritius which are
a) professional,
b) knowledgeable and
c) willing to do the improvements for a client

But... someone higher doesn't like them or doesn't agree on a budget to
spend for such "unnecessary" improvements. I think you get the picture
of the whole story.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, JoKi

PS: And since I completely focus my business on clients abroad, I have
peace of mind regarding my work and invoicing.