[lugm.org] Press Coverage - Linuxfest 2013

Yasir MX yasirmx at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 19 06:08:13 UTC 2013

Email has been sent. I just hope my contact can do needful.

Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 23:01:42 +0400
From: ish at hacklog.in
To: discuss at discuss.lugm.org
Subject: Re: [lugm.org] Press Coverage - Linuxfest 2013

Hello Yasir,

Thank you for the initiative.

Well, to sum-up ... We're targeting most the younger population ... students (small enterprises are most welcomed too). Most of the presentations are geared towards the expansion of Linux & making it an alternative to the traditional Windows desktop. We are also trying to inspire students to get involve in the global open source community by picking up projects & helping in. This could involve development, graphic design, content writing or advocacy. This way we can put Mauritius in the forefront as an open source contributor.

Our schedule of events is as follows :

		Time
		Speaker
		Topic

		10h00
		--
		Introduction

		10h10
		Avinash Meetoo
		Expansion of Linux & Android in the world and particularly, Mauritius

		10h30
		Nitin Bachraz
		Skills needed for a Unix System Admin & open source in our current IT

		10h50
		Jochen Kirstätter
		Running Windows applications on Linux

		11h10
		Nirvan Pagooah / Nayar Jolfoo
		MSCC & Development on open source platforms

		11h40
		Ish Sookun
		openSUSE Project / openSUSE Advocate Program

		12h10
		Selven Cheenaramen
		Still brewing …

		12h30
		Nadim Attari
		Linux Mint for daily activities

		12h50 – 15h00
		Everybody
		Linux demos in the lobby

The "Linux demos" will comprise of PCs & Notebooks running various Linux distributions. Attendees can thus try surfing, skyping ... watching videos & music on Linux; to give them a feel of what's a Linux desktop.

We will distribute free copies of Linux distributions, so attendees can bring pendrives (8Gb preferably) to grab them.

Lastly, all attendees will receive a "Certificate of Attendance" as a thank you token.

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh ... If you need a contact email somewhere, put ishwon at openSUSE.org and I'll be happy to liaise further.

Cheers!

Ish Sookun

openSUSE Advocate (openSUSE.org)

- Geek by birth ... Linux by choice.