[lugm.org] LUGM Meeting

Mohammad Nadim Qaadiri Razavi Attari nadim.attari at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 05:52:37 UTC 2013

Hello all,

First of all I'd like to congratulate everyone, especially Selven, for the
wonderful LUGM event held at L'Escalier.

It was my first time in a LUGM event, even though I follow LUGM since the
early 2000's - if I remember well, when LUGM website was on PHP-Nuke, or
perhaps even earlier than that. Every-time I wanted to participate, I
couldn't due to some last-minute unforeseen events. This time I said to
myself that I'll gonna participate no matter what - I took a bus at 9am
from PL to arrive at L'Escalier at 10:30am - forget about sitting in the
bus for one and a half hour, I really wanted to participate.

A special thanks to Avinash and Selven to offer a lift - unfortunately, we
could not coordinate.

Coming to the event, the first thing I tried to do was to observe how the
event is held: the presentation, the audience, etc... I shall share my
feelings and opinion + shall try to make some recommendations.

First of all I found the presentation very technical. Even Avinash's
presentation which was supposed to be an introduction to newcomers was
somewhat technical - e.g. "Linux can be contained in a floppy disk,"
"Standards compliant formats", etc...

For example, someone new to Linux would not bother about technical things.
All they want is USE IT (new-comers). And HOW TO use it (intermediates). I
think Thierry was trying to go in this direction, which I fully agree.

When we were having lunch, even Nitish was speaking of "SSH." He was
sitting next to the shy lady, Nalini. And I was observing how Nalini was
getting "bored" with technical talks (during lunch !)

We should categorise the presentations: new-comers (0% technical),
intermediate (HOWTOs) and expert (geeks!).

In the new-comers' presentations, we could also try to show how Linux can
be beneficial to businesses in reducing costs (free OS, no antivirus to
buy, no office package to buy, can be installed on old PC/laptop, etc) -
their secretaries and staff may be using only some office packages + a
browser to surf the net + a mail client to send and receive email.

On an organisational point of view, I would propose that we create "cells"
within the group which shall be dealing with specific "department" e.g. a
cell that shall contact computer shops and ask them to propose Linux also
as an OS. a cell that shall provide HOWTOs (how to use LibreOffice, how to
install Skype, ...), a geeks-only cell.

We all have some ideas how to make LUGM progress. Up to all of us coming to
an consensus and derive a plan for say, the next 1 year, and we act upon
the plan.

I hope Avinash (the policeman!) will organise the next LUGM event in
Dubreuil. I propose we organise in these places also: Port Louis, Triolet,
Grand Baie, Goodlands, Riviere du Rempart, Flacq, Lalmatie, Bel Air, St
Pierre, Quartier Militaire.

Well that's my two cents. I'm waiting for your valuable opinions now :-)

Regards,

*Mohammad Nadim Attari*
Bon Air Branch Road
8th Mile, Triolet