[lugm.org] Announcing a Mauritian tech forum

Vy-Shane Sin Fat shane at node.mu
Wed Dec 18 02:18:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:33 AM, selven <pcthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ipv6, great stuffs, but why would i change if currently v4 is not much a
> problem for me. Even as a tech user i just adapt only out of need to keep
> myself as lazy as possible.
>
> Mauritian hosting easy to say but how do you provide cheap hosting given the
> crappy connection versus price we have here?
>
> Singapore, some ips go through malaysia some still goes through linx weird
> peering. That is also why am unable to use my quakelive premium account in
> singapore any more, latency is a b*tch.
>
> How would you propose to solve the hosting problem without having to give up
> all your fortune to MT and still get any profit out of it? Setting up local
> exchange points and bypassing isp crazy rivalry? Who sponsors the scene?
>
> :) the problem is not technical it is with the people itself no one can do
> anything about it because of the society's corruptive nature.
>
> Binary.mu might work, i remember when i was still running hackers.mu it used
> to run decently with decent amount of ppl without me actually doing anything
> to it. Problem is you need lots of patience to keep focus into moderating
> the place.
>
> Good luck for binary.mu

Ah yes, that rings a bell. I remember posting on hackers.mu. People
would ask about cracking and you'd explain that the site was not about
that. There was also myfrag.net for gamers.

It seems to me that the Mauritian tech community is more vibrant than
ever these days. People have really taken to Twitter for example.
However, call me old fashioned, but I can't have a meaningful
conversation 140 characters at a time.