[lugm.org] What killed the Linux desktop

bbnadim bbnadim at intnet.mu
Sat Sep 1 07:56:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

At home I have Mint (Maya 13) on my PC + my 5yr old son
has ZenWalk on an old P4 laptop (he loves Linux rather
than Windows - according to him, Windows is for girls,
i.e. his mama)

At work I have CenOS6 - I need a GUI to run NetBeans, etc
+ the machine also acts as my local web server and also
it's easy for me to create / destroy OpenVZ containers for
testing (MyISAM v/s InnoDB for example, among many other
tests).

On Windows, it's a pain in the ass to install all the
tools needed for professional web development - a simple
WAMP is not enough. A Mac is not cheap. So for a
professional web developer (and a poor one like me), Linux
Desktop is still alive...

I have everything I need on my Linux boxes (Mint &
CentOS):
- Accessories : Calculator, Character Map, Tomboy Notes,
Wammu, ...
- Games: ...
- Graphics : GIMP, InkSpace, Simple Scan, ...
- Internet: All browsers, Thunderbird,
Deluge/Transmission, KGet, Dropbox, Teamviewer, Skype,
Pidgin, XChat, FileZilla
- Office: OpenOffice / LibreOffice
- Programming: Netbeans / Zend Studio, SmartGit, SmartSVN,
MySQLWorkBench, ...
- Multimedia: Brasero / K3b, VLC player, DeVeDe, Istanbul,
- Others: Picassa (on WinE), PDF-Shuffler, xCHM, ...
- Extras: VirtualBox, ...

Why do I need an OS other than Linux, especially not free
/ cheap ? I believe vendors should promote Linux. They are
the key people. Perhaps they prefer Windows because they
can't provide Linux support ? Do they get a commission for
installing Windows OS on each PC they are selling ? Also I
feel the public is not "affected" when their Windows stop
working, etc. - here, they can get it re-installed for
Rs1000 !

Recently a firm in Grand Bay migrated from Windows to
Linux simply because they can't afford to buy new
equipment + the old ones were getting slow. Installing
Linux on old laptops / PCs was the solution for them -
they needed an Office suite to prepare reports, a browser
to surf internet, plus an email client to send and receive
emails.

BTW, Linux Desktop is not dead. In fact it is growing - in
smartphones. And it's called Android (as Avinash said).
And I quote someone's post in a forum somewhere; i can
recall it like "the naysayers have been claiming the death
of Desktop Linux every year, and every year they've been
wrong"

Nadim