[lugm.org] NAS - Synology

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Thu Mar 22 11:23:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 13:40, Loganaden Velvindron <gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> I didn't say anything against macs. I think it's pretty decent technology.
>
> I'm thinking about buying a Mac for my next laptop. A lot of BSD
> developers told
> me that it's a pretty solid machine and you don't need to worry to fiddle
> with codecs or hack
> around Xorg & inteldrm to get good framerates with mkv (anime) files.

Hi Logan,

I've used a MacBook since 2006 and they are quite good except that they
heat a lot. It becomes quite uncomfortable sometimes.

I got a cheap Dell Inspiron a few months ago, put Fedora on it and it works
great. Much much better than a small hot MacBook.

FYI, I now use an iMac at home for all my Mac stuffs.

Avinash

> [...]
> works well (i have one at home).
> it's formatted for use with AFP (yes, go ahead and laugh logan, we only
> have macs at home!), and it Just Works (tm).
> my non-technical significant other is trained to look at the three colours
> (green, orange, red, and act accordingly - ie.  green=don't touch;
>  orange=tell me;  red=swap disk with spare, and tell me).  i used to spend
> quite a bit of time travelling, and, ease-of-use, trumped all else, hence
> my decision to go drobo.
>
> the local reseller is paoma, in curepipe - www.paoma.mu.  very helpful -
> not that there is much to do!
>

> What could be the approximate cost for purchasing that kind of hardware
> here in MAU ?
>

> i bought my 4drive unit 2 years ago, with 2x 1TB disks;  it wasn't cheap
> at the time (+30K iirc) and i got a discount because i also purchased a UPS
> and other peripherals as well.
>
> i've seen smaller synology units (2 disk) in stock at ct-zone at bagatelle
> for ±11K.
> ispace-technologies - www.ispace-technologies.com - in ebene also had
> QNAP units in stock, when i was there 2 weeks ago.
>
> as ajay mentioned, most of these units use proprietary raid systems to
> give you the expandable raid array options (what drobo sells as the
> any-size disk-grow-as-you-need-raid-array).  while this works great when it
> works, i've read lots of horror stories of people trying to get the data
> recovered when something fails.  same with synology's SHR system - we
> recently purchased one for office use in ZA, and the supplier warned
> -against- using their SHR (expandable array) option for our data storage
> purposes.  ymmv.
>
> yo should also know that these raid5+1 systems take absolutely forever to
> rebuild - i recently swapped a 1TB for a 2TB drive to get to (2+1+2+2), and
> the volume rebuild took more than 30 hours!  of course it's useable during
> this period, but that might affect your data usage/storage systems.  (as a
> home user, this didn't impact me too much)
>
> i've been thinking about a backup NAS, and, speaking from a drobo user's
> perspective, i doubt i will buy this again.
> both qnap and synology seem to offer the same options at almost the same
> price point;  both of which are well below drobo's.
> while i love the simplicity:
> * it's expensive by comparison
> * there are cutesy home features in the other two that drobo lacks
> (built-in media server, etc.)
>
> don't get me wrong - the unit works great.  it's just expensive by
> comparison *for home use*
>
> the single largest technical benefit i've seen is that even my old unit
> will scale to 4x 4TB.  looking through the whitepapers for synology and
> qnap, most of their non-professional units will not support 4TB drives
> (some not even 3TB).
>
> hth,
> --n.
>
> btw, if you're willing to look for suppliers in ZA for these, ping me

*Avinash Meetoo**
**Managing-Director of Knowledge Seven*

Call me on 493-9394 (Mobile) or 464-7446 (Office)
I am on my portal <http://www.avinashmeetoo.com/>,
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/avinashmeetoo>
, Twitter <http://twitter.com/AvinashMeetoo>,
Google+<https://plus.google.com/112364749894178405575>