[lugm.org] Linus Torvalds finds GNOME 3.4 to be a "total user experience design failure"

Yasir MX yasirmx at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:56:16 UTC 2012

Torvalds has long disliked the GNOME 3.x family. But, as Torvalds explained in his Google+ posting on GNOME 3.4:

I broke down, and upgraded my old aging Fedora
 install on my desktop. Simply because my old F14 comes with ancient X
versions that don’t contain all the fixes to make Intel 3D really work
well. And yes, things really do work better on the graphical side.
But with F17 comes gnome3. And I
knew I’d have trouble, but also knew that most of the worst crap could
be fixed with extensions, and I’d used 3.4 on my laptop enough to know
it should be all somewhat usable.

Torvalds had had enough with the GNOME Shell Extensions way of “fixing” GNOME.

I have to say, I used to think that the “extensions.gnome.org”
approach to fixing the deficiencies in gnome3 was really cool. It made
me go “Ahh, now I can fix the problems I had”.
But it turns out to be a major pain, when it
basically ends up as a really magical way to customize your desktop,
which breaks randomly and has no sane way to do across machines. And the
 extensions seem to randomly break when you update the system, so they
don’t work as well as they would if they just came with the base system.
End result: extensions.gnome.org may be a really cool idea, but it
seems to have some serious usability problems in practice. And the whole
 gnome3 approach of “by default we don’t give you even the most basic
tools to fix things, but you can hack around things with unofficial
extensions” seems to be a total UX (user experience design) failure.

Later on in the resulting discussion, several people suggest that
Torvalds just use the GNOME 3.4 keyboard shortcuts. Torvalds was not
amused.

I’m really tired of the f*cking old “just use the keyboard shortcuts”
 crap. Sure, if you’re a keyboarding person, then gnome3 is a big
improvement. But dammit, if you’re like me, and you write using the keyboard, and then use mousing for other operations, gnome3 is just not doing the right thing.
And what irritates me is how the gnome3 fanboys (and more
importantly, developers), seem to never acknowledge that different
people have different tastes. The whole “we know best” thing is a
disease.
I’m really not that odd. I want a few things:
 - smaller fonts (especially window decorations)

- sane “start new terminal” without multiple steps from the panel

- auto-hide the panel so that I don’t have to feel “all emo all the time”

- focus-follows-mouse

- the ability to use a few default flags for certain programs
and the fact is that none of the above are “odd” requests, but for
some unknown reasons gnome makes these fundamental things really
inconvenient and hard to find.
And christ people - stop telling me about gnome-tweak-tool. I know .
 I mentioned the damn thing in the post, for chissake! Telling me about
the tweak tool just shows that you didn’t even bother to read what I
wrote.
I have found how to do all of the above things - except for the
“flags for favorite applications” - but the fact is, the gnome
extensions are not reliable and the UX sucks.

full article @ http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linus-torvalds-finds-gnome-34-to-be-a-total-user-experience-design-failure/11127?tag=nl.e539