[lugm.org] the importance of hardware documentation

Daniel Shaw daniel.shaw at point-oh.net
Wed Jan 4 09:31:24 UTC 2012

On 4 January 2012 11:10, Loganaden Velvindron <gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Linux developers are very open to signing NDAs just to get hardware support:
> From http://lwn.net/Articles/203562/

> This is exactly what has happened with SiS ! Sorry, you're terribly mistaken
> here.

No, you misunderstood me. I completely agree that NDAs are bad in
exactly the way you mention. My point is that although it's common
(far too common) it's not EVERY vendor. There are pleasant exceptions.

Another great example of a very problematic hardware vendor is
Broadcom (mentioned in your lwn link).  Compare this with Intel. So my
point is that next time you buys a laptop, pick the one that has intel
wifi, not broadcom and next time you pick a server get the one with
Intel NICs, not broadcom.

I'm not disagreeing with your rant - I am offering one possible course
of action, which is: vote with your wallet.