[lugm.org] the importance of hardware documentation

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 09:10:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

Linux developers are very open to signing NDAs just to get hardware support:
From http://lwn.net/Articles/203562/

In many others, however, this information
is provided to a specific company or developer under a non-disclosure
agreement (NDA), with the understanding that the resulting driver would then be
released under a free license.  This approach has, beyond a doubt, made
more drivers available for use with our systems; it has become a common way
of doing things, especially in the Linux world.

This has been pushed by Leading Linux developers like Greg Kroah !
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7729

Greg Kroah-Hartman's announcement for free Linux driver development [story] included the necesssary legal framework to honor NDAs when creating
GPL'd drivers.  This allowance was discussed on the OpenBSD -misc
mailing list.  In a public exchange with Greg KH, Stephan Rickauer said, "now these companies have a great excuse to keep specs locked up
tight under NDA, while pretending to be 'open.'  The OpenBSD project has made clear more than once how this will hurt Free Software in the long
run. Signing NDA's ensures that Linux gets a working driver, sure, but
the internals are indistinguishable from magic. It is a source code
version of a blob."  OpenBSD founder Theo de Raadt [interview] called the free driver effort a farce, "you are trying to make sure that maintainers of code -- ie. any random joe
who wants to improve the code in the future -- has LESS ACCESS to docs
later on because someone signed an NDA to write it in the first place.
You are making a very big mistake."

This is exactly what has happened with SiS ! Sorry, you're terribly mistaken here.