[lugm.org] University of Mauritius Head technician

Vy-Shane Sin Fat shane at node.mu
Tue Apr 24 04:41:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM, selven <pcthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I think :D... IT has become boring and has ended up becoming just
> application development which mostly does database fetching back and forth
> from a db and present it nicely to a user :s.  It is still a job but :p its
> not worth it :D... currently being a brick layer involves more creativity
> than being part of those outsourcing Mignon out there (me included since i
> work in an outsourcing box).
>
> +$3|v3n

Hi Selven,

I'm sorry that you don't feel fulfilled by your work. However, I don't
agree that IT has become boring. We live in an age where we have dual
core computers... in our pockets. This is an age where we have moved
beyond coding CRUD for a database, on to investigating new ways of
interacting with our computers. Multitouch, Kinect, Siri, Project
Glass. All this after decades of WIMP, mice and keyboards. Our
industry is experiencing an explosion of creativity. IT has never been
closer to art than it is right now.

This is the age of app stores. It's an age where two guys can sit down
and write a photo sharing app, give it away for free to millions of
people, somehow make a business of it, then sell that business two
years later. For $2 billion. Entrepreneurship has never been easier.

How can you get bored? I'm excited to live in these times. I can feel
a tremendous momentum building up. There are so many things to be
built. Countless opportunities lie ahead. We are the privileged few
who have the skills to build the future. Make your mark.

Cheers,
Shane