[lugm.org] University of Mauritius Head technician

Shaan Nobee s.nobee at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 08:31:31 UTC 2012

It's a life-cycle.
As long as the educational system is based on rote-learning, everything will stay the same.

Most of the lecturers you are talking about also went through the Mauritian educational system,
so most of them will probably find it normal that students are learning this way.
Even the way they teach is biased towards rote-learning.

For example, subjects such as Maths, where you might think that rote-learning cannot work, still works.
Most students only mechanically apply the steps to solve the problems without even knowing the theory behind it.

There can't be a lot of progress this way, students need to learn to solve problems creatively, by using their own ideas,
than just applying already existing knowledge and taking everything for granted. This would require a major rework on the whole education system,
from the pre-primary school level to the tertiary level. But once the first steps are made, things would start working automatically since the next
generations would think differently.

In short, the education system is more biased towards developing the "Crystallized" intelligence(solving problems based on already acquired knowledge) of students,
than making them develop their "Fluid" intelligence (ability to solve problems in novel situations).http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_and_crystallized_intelligence

As long as the educational system remains like this, things will stay the same.
This is only my opinion.

--0x1337