[lugm.org] Linux on the desktop got a long way to go

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Thu Oct 6 19:40:42 UTC 2011

Jochen Kirstätter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> either it's my mail client or Logan's replies are integrated into the stream... ?

it's not you.

> - Doesn't matter anyway as the knowledge of "proper" quoting is pretty low on this list. No offence, just fact!

:-)

> [Linux on desktop]
> The process has started and a huge number of successful case studies, especially in the public sector (schools, universities, etc.), governmental area, or in a lot of 3rd world / development countries, demonstrate the "ready for business" level of recent Linux distributions. In scientific institutes you will hardly find Windows-based environments (talking about CERN, or LHC, etc)
>
> But the conversion of non-technical staff takes time, especially for re-education and acceptance.

is it really the non-technical, or the people that can't/won't move from their comfort zone.
decisions to move to newer platforms aren't done by technical people;  they're made by management.
people buy/pay for/use/...what they know.  use ms-word in the office, and you'll buy/use/pirate it for home use.
it's rarely the other way around.

but, people adjust.  period.
it's the unwillingness to upset the apple-cart that holds back most.

in an earlier message, logan wrote, (and, for me, this was the kicker really):

> Microsoft devised some clever way to solve the graphic stack problem. They are
> putting the barrier higher. Their solution is better than Xorg.

if competitiveness breeds innovation (and it generally does) then we all win.

--n.