[lugm.org] Linux on the desktop got a long way to go

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Thu Oct 6 12:15:51 UTC 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 3:23 PM, ashvin saminathen wrote:

> logan praising windows???
> i've seen it all now, i can die ;P

i bought a samsung UA46B7000WR about a year ago, with DLNA support, thinking that this should be trivial to get to work with OS X 10.6.
i did - eventually - but it took considerable pain.
more than a lazy mac user would want!

recently, i had to test something in windows-land, and installed a win-7 VM for test purposes.
on bootup, it identified the (all networked) TV, NAS (an AFP share!), the different bits of the MFP, the uPNP server i was testing on my mac-mini...
out the box, it was impressive.  not enough to make me want to go back to windows land, but, easy enough for even a spoilt mac user :-)  to step back and say:  "wow, windows has come a long way!"  so, i can identify with logan's comments.

i don't, however, remember freebsd crashing when xfree86 died, though that seems like a long time ago...