[lugm.org] Adventures @ Orange ISP

kn at debian.mu kn at debian.mu
Thu May 19 19:46:01 UTC 2011

Fully agree with u both!, but you should bear in mind that there is a political part behind! Internet access hasn't been deregulated.

MT has got a very good backbone (dark fibers for local) with last mile delivered via copper, (multiple oc192 circuits for transit atm/sonat). MT could have provided 20Mbps adsl2+  packages for home use (technically its possible), but it costs them a lot in terms of licenses.

Normally an ISP (the case in mauritius) is allowed to provide only local last mile, if you decide to provide international traffic (you become an international ISP), there are many licenses to pay! You pay a license for buying bandwidth, you pay a license for selling the same bandwidth you bought! Licenses Licenses Licenses Licenses (check on icta site)! Who introduced that ? The stupid government, Who rule that part? The ICTA

And you expect to have a great connectivity at home??

And the funny part I remember, the honorable minister of finance announced a decrease in price for both home / business dsl & ipvpn during the budget. The company I work for is currently paying 4x 4Mbps ipvpn @ 6000USD each which is uplinked to a gigabit circuit with cogent at the last mile in europe, guess what the Gge circuit is only 559Euros monthly!