[lugm.org] Adventures @ Orange ISP

KJBheenick kjbheenick at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 18 08:46:27 UTC 2011

You are not alone in thinking along the lines of putting more consumer
pressure on the ISP(s?) locally.
There was a newspaper article not so long ago that responded to another
article about Mauritius having done so wonderfully well in terms of
connectivity in L'Express of Sunday 1st May.
The article URL is http://lemauricien.com/mauricien/in110505.htm
In that article is also reference to an interview of Sarat Lallah about
optical fibre connectivity across the island and to the rest of the world
(http://www.techvideobytes.com/video/36028862010380537)

Apparently the LION2 cable will improve connectivity out of Mauritius some
time in 2012- but will it still be under the control of one local company or
will the ICTA step in to really liberalise access to bandwidth - if
Mauritius can spend so much on building roads which are still packed with
cars crawling at peak time, or money on carrying waste water, while our taps
run dry upstream, surely we would benefit from improving connectivity not
only to the rest of the world but also among ourselves in a more democratic
manner (or on a more level playing field?).

A community-led initiative (that also tries with all its might not to be
infiltrated and taken over my local politics) to address the issues of
connectivity from a more technical perspective would be most welcome. The
credibility of such an initiative would be a function of it remaining
objective about the challenges and possible solutions.
Krishan Bheenick
Food and Agricultural Research Council
Reduit