[lugm.org] Oracle db on debian 6 ia64

kn at debian.mu kn at debian.mu
Wed Jun 1 16:35:49 UTC 2011

Oracle support isn't reliable ---> you might spend a whole week over a webex session with an "oracle support engineer" just to troubleshoot a minor issue! Most IT managers adopt the "oracle support" scheme because they don't want to be blamed in case something happens or even if their it guys did something wrong to corrupt a db!

Support is required only at os level, wether the os is supported or not, or may not at all be required if you know what u r doing., I always test patches & updates on a similar system before applying to the production environment.. I think most of you here proceed the same way ?

I don't really care wether a db is corrupted or not, that's none of my concern & this is where database administrators would take over...