[lugm.org] Visibility and awareness of LUGM

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 18:36:23 UTC 2011

I wish I could find time to blog :S

--- On Wed, 12/1/11, Avinash Meetoo <avinash at noulakaz.net> wrote:

From: Avinash Meetoo <avinash at noulakaz.net>
Subject: [lugm.org] Visibility and awareness of LUGM
Date: Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, 6:05

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Jochen Kirstätter <lugm at ios.mu> wrote:

well, I'm sorry to say but this only shows the common visibility and awareness about LUGM even after years of existence. There is absolutely no progress on the website in terms of regular meetings, feedback on meetings, upcoming ideas/events like distribution launches (ie. Fedore 14, Ubuntu 11.04, Debian 6.0, etc).

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for mentioning that.

The idea behind setting up a blog was precisely to have more posts and, consequently, interactions from LUGM members and the public at large.

What we forgot was to release a publication schedule i.e. who & when to write posts... I propose that members of the Managing-Committee make their best to write one new post per month at least.

I only attended one or two meetings in the past but check the website almost every week. They were ok but too formal to my opinion.

The meetings? I don't think they are very formal. I like the fact that Selven is methodical and takes his job as the secretary of the association so seriously.

The main responsible initiator(s) are not active anymore, so the whole thing goes down the drain. Ergo, it wasn't or isn't a user group but was a one-man-show to a certain degree. Much kudos to the active members in the past but since more than 2 years LUGM is dead!

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's time for a new generation to emerge. But LUGM, like our volcanoes, is not dead, only dormant :-)

One major improvement for the LUGM website would be to use a RSS feed
aggregator to gather individual blog articles from LUGM members and fans
 other than writing articles. From time to time, I write Linux related
content on my blog and would like to share with LUGM but.... no
information nor contact available.

And others write as well in their personal blogs but not FOR the user group...

In fact, most of us are active on the web (with our blogs, Facebook profiles and Twitter account(s)) and your idea to make the lugm website a portal (using something like FeedWordpress http://feedwordpress.radgeek.com/ and its duplicate post filter http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/feedwordpress-duplicate-post-filter/) rings all the right bells in my opinion.

We can easily agree on a tag (e.g. LUGM) and all our posts tagged with this will appear automagically on LUGM's website.

What do others think?

Avinash

--
Avinash Meetoo

Managing-Director of Knowledge Seven

Call me on 493-9394 (Mobile) or 464-7446 (Office)
Visit www.knowledge7.com and our other sister websites

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

IRC: #linux.mu on Freenode