[lugm.org] Visibility and awareness of LUGM

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Wed Jan 12 06:05:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Jochen Kirstätter <lugm at ios.mu> wrote:

> well, I'm sorry to say but this only shows the common visibility and
> awareness about LUGM even after years of existence. There is absolutely no
> progress on the website in terms of regular meetings, feedback on meetings,
> upcoming ideas/events like distribution launches (ie. Fedore 14, Ubuntu
> 11.04, Debian 6.0, etc).

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for mentioning that.

The idea behind setting up a blog was precisely to have more posts and,
consequently, interactions from LUGM members and the public at large.

What we forgot was to release a publication schedule i.e. who & when to
write posts... I propose that members of the Managing-Committee make their
best to write *one new post per month at least*.

I only attended one or two meetings in the past but check the website almost
> every week. They were ok but too formal to my opinion.

The meetings? I don't think they are very formal. I like the fact that
Selven is methodical and takes his job as the secretary of the association
so seriously.

> The main responsible initiator(s) are not active anymore, so the whole
> thing goes down the drain. Ergo, it wasn't or isn't a user group but was a
> one-man-show to a certain degree. Much kudos to the active members in the
> past but since more than 2 years LUGM is dead!

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's time for a new generation to emerge. But
LUGM, like our volcanoes, is not dead, only dormant :-)

One major improvement for the LUGM website would be to use a RSS feed
> aggregator to gather individual blog articles from LUGM members and fans
> other than writing articles. From time to time, I write Linux related
> content on my blog and would like to share with LUGM but.... no information
> nor contact available.
> And others write as well in their personal blogs but not FOR the user
> group...

In fact, most of us are active on the web (with our blogs, Facebook profiles
and Twitter account(s)) and your idea to make the lugm website a portal
(using something like FeedWordpress http://feedwordpress.radgeek.com/ and
its duplicate post filter
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/feedwordpress-duplicate-post-filter/)
rings all the right bells in my opinion.

We can easily agree on a tag (e.g. LUGM) and all our posts tagged with this
will appear automagically on LUGM's website.

What do others think?

Avinash

--
*Avinash Meetoo**
**Managing-Director of Knowledge Seven*

Call me on 493-9394 (Mobile) or 464-7446 (Office)
Visit www.knowledge7.com and our other sister
websites<http://www.knowledge7.com/page/internet-services>