[lugm.org] BSD is dying says committers

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Tue Aug 30 05:19:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Loganaden Velvindron
<gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> BSD was always meant for the hardcore sysadmin/developer
> who cared about about a reliable Unix.
>
> When LUGM introduced me to BSD, it seemed to be lacking
> in features. Taking a closer look shows attention to code,
> better engineering and a minimalist approach which is closer
> to the UNIX ways.

That's the question which Eric Raymond tries to answer in his article.

Is the Cathedral approach (BSD) really better than the Bazaar approach
(Linux)? Logic would say that the Cathedral is better (as exemplified by
Microsoft for example) but no one can argue that the anarchy around Linux
(the Bazaar) seems to rally more people and as you know "given enough
eyeballs, all bugs are shallow".

Avinash

--
*Avinash Meetoo**
**Managing-Director of Knowledge Seven*

Call me on 493-9394 (Mobile) or 464-7446 (Office)
I am on my portal <http://www.avinashmeetoo.com/>,
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/avinashmeetoo>,
Twitter <http://twitter.com/AvinashMeetoo> and
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/avinashmeetoo>