[lugm.org] check this weirdness out

selven pcthegreat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 09:30:13 UTC 2010

> I see no obscure excuses, if someone disables offloading in
> freebsd, i'd bet that GNU/Linux will probably be faster.
>
> well, i would have been superman IF i could fly :p.

> Other don't trust buggy hardware offload engine as FreeBSD does ?
>

> Didn't experience anything bad from using FreeBSD for now :p.

> And what happens when the hardware is EOLed ? We let the driver
> rot or lock the API to support backward compatibility ? Nice way
> to get a ``Free'' OS to evolve.
>

> You want support for the hardware? Try working on it with a bunch of
friends, if it works, nice, you can always share it... but you can't expect
ppl in a Free world to be forced to code that for you! You are not paying
them anything. If they are doing it because they feel like it, good for
everyone, but certainly this doesn't mean that they need to do it.
Secondly, your point of view on EOL'ed hardware will apply for desktop
users, not for large organizations.
After some 20 years, hardware gets obsoleted and its usually time to move
on.

> That's why I'm warning people against using it. I dislike FreeBSD in
> its _current_ state. However, if they start fixing their code, then I
> wouldn't
> mind recommending it to other. Fair right ?

 :) Sure you are free to. You are also free not to.

> Better be communist and get something decent out the doors. As the
> saying goes `` A camel is a horse designed by a committee'', and freebsd
> has confirmed it again.
>

> So be a communist :D you have got the freedom to choose :) .. just don't
expect everybody to follow.
Atleast you get to be a communist in your head.

> Read this :
>

> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2003-28/0029.html
>
> Its not about right or wrong, its about getting the most out of what we
have :p.

> The handbook has a very corporate feeling, glad you like it.
>

> :D No idea, you seem to be contradicting yourself... here you somewhat
dislike coporate taste to things and above when you were mentionning ibm and
redhat you were somewhat proud of that corporate touch :p hmm decide what
you want :)

> $1000 for an ethernet card ? We paid $100 dollars monthly/server.
> Are you putting gold plates inside that ethernet controller ? :-)
>
> :D Ofcourse this is just a random figure to show how much money doesn't
matter that much compared to time.. but if you don't get that :D I'd advise
you to re-read after a beer or two ... will help relax you down a bit! :p

> took around 1 week to fix the issue. Halting activity for one week
> to get a stable ethernet driver, rather than riding months with spotty
> driver issues is called what I'd called long-term planning :-D
>
> Its not always one week :p. Usually if its urgent, you won't do that if
buying another hardware could solve the issue and save weeks of non business
related work.

> It's not about perfection, it's about being far from crappiness as
> possible,
> and getting least number of negative feedback. FreeBSD has a number
> of issues currently. If they get their act together, I wouldn't mind
> re-evaluating it ;-)
>
> Nope, you are more opting for "stalling" production in the hope to live in
a bug free world :), good luck on that.
While my view is just.. "let the job proceed on, report the bug, patch when
there's a bugfix", most bugfix doesn't break things so why worry now when at
some point in time it will be fixed?  The job needs to get done.

Neither your way nor my way is any better.. you just have to pick one of
these or something else and expect that it is the best path :p.

> I'm a user.
>

> :p logan you are not a user despite how much you can lie to yourself you
are no more a user :p you've fallen into the kernel source too deep... you
can't be pulled out :p.

> pps. The Only Perfect OS i know of is the GNU/Hurd ... we all know its fate
> :)
>

> GNU/Hurd is broken. It's mostly about changing micro-kernels with
> what is currently the buzz-name in academic circles.
>

> ^^ Hmm have some beers you need to cool down a bit to see the joke i guess
:p.

--
$3|v3n