[lugm.org] Linux Solution for Small Business

Jochen Kirstätter lugm at ios.mu
Wed Jul 7 06:51:15 UTC 2010

Hello Nicolas,

Nice infrastructure. Following some thoughts...

On 07/07/2010 09:04 AM, BASTON wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out what Linux solution is best for our company
> where we actually use Win Xp.
> Here are some details about our company hardware, layout and requirements:
>
> Computer Network Proposed.jpg
> Current Server specs:
> Hp ML310 G5p x3220 | 2.40Ghz | 2GB RAM | 2 X 500GB Embedded NC326i
> Dual Integrated Gigabit NICs HP P212/ZM Smart Array Controller |
> windows server 2008

Your server is sufficient enough to serve the whole network. What I do
not understand is the situation that your ADSL modem is directly
connected to the switch instead of behind a machine (server, firewall,
etc). Usually, the setup should be similar like this:

Clients --- Switch --- Server/Firewall --- ADSL Modem

This provides internet connection for all with a decent level of
protection from outside attacks due to the firewall on the edge of your
network.

> Basic application and operation requirements for each user would be:

You might have a general overview here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Alternatives

>     * Office editing

OpenOffice.org is a good alternative and runs on Linux, Windows and
other platforms. This offers you the possibility of a mixed client usage
in case that you might require some workstations to stay on Windows -
for whatever reasons...

>     * Internet access

While changing the network setup no problem (as stated above).

>     * Possibility to use Gmail with the offline mode option

You can use ie. Thunderbird together with GMail. This might give your
users a more complete experience.

>     * Light photo editing

See alternative application in the Ubuntu Guide. I use Google Picasa
since years and it's ok for my needs.

>     * Accounting software / Quickbook 2002 alternative

Sorry, no answer from my side...
Quickbooks should run on wine as well. You might have a look at the
compatibility list.

>     * Ability to use network printers

CUPS comes to the rescue. No problem.

>     * Fast access to USB drives

Drives are usually auto-mounted on current Linux systems. But even
connecting drives to a server so that they are accessible through the
network is possible.

>     * Ability to run Real Estate software, Activimmo
>       <http://www.activimmo.com/> through emulator (works fine with
>       Wine) OR from Server2008 through RDP

If it works fine with wine, then ok stick with it.
Additionally, you might have a look at commercial forks of wine like ie.
CrossOver or Cedega. Here at IOS we work with CrossOver because wine
does not give full support for some applications that we use for our
software development.

>     * Set different levels of permissions to access data on Server

Integrated. There's also the option to setup LDAP for centralized user
management, similar to Active Directory on Windows.

>     * Backup ?

Tons of solutions available. Just choose whatever pleases you... ;)

> I was recently suggested to keep Server 2008 and set up Ubuntu on
> standalone computers or thin clients

Well, based on the fact that the Windows Server 2008 license is already
there, I recommend to virtualize it and run it on top of your physical
hardware. One machine, two operating systems. This is quite handy and
flexible in case that you might run into troubles with specific Windows
applications that cannot executed in wine. Therefore, you can still
install and use them on Windows Server 2008 using RDP. RDP clients for
Linux are available since years.

--
Kind regards.

Q. Why is top posting bad?

Get Blogged by JoKi - "The only frontiers are in your mind"
   http://jochen.kirstaetter.name/ - http://www.ios.mu/