[lugm.org] Linux Solution for Small Business

BASTON nicotine555 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 05:04:16 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what Linux solution is best for our company where we
actually use Win Xp.
Here are some details about our company hardware, layout and requirements:

[image: Computer Network Proposed.jpg]
Current Server specs:
Hp ML310 G5p x3220 | 2.40Ghz | 2GB RAM | 2 X 500GB Embedded NC326i Dual
Integrated Gigabit NICs HP P212/ZM Smart Array Controller  | windows server
2008

Basic application and operation requirements for each user would be:

   - Office editing
   - Internet access
   - Possibility to use Gmail with the offline mode option
   - Light photo editing
   - Accounting software / Quickbook 2002 alternative
   - Ability to use network printers
   - Fast access to USB drives
   - Ability to run Real Estate software,
Activimmo<http://www.activimmo.com/> through
   emulator (works fine with Wine) OR from Server2008 through RDP
   - Set different levels of permissions to access data on Server
   - Backup ?

I was recently suggested to keep Server 2008 and set up Ubuntu on standalone
computers or thin clients

Thanks for advising

Warm regards

Nicolas

--
~L'Amour a ses raisons que la Raison ignore...

"Un amour qui n'a pas souffert est un amour qui manque de profondeur"...

"mais celui qui aura persévéré jusqu'à la fin, celui-là sera sauvé." Mt 10
v22