[lugm.org] kismet on backtrack 4

Daniel Shaw daniel.shaw at point-oh.net
Tue Aug 17 05:00:53 UTC 2010

On 17 August 2010 04:02, kowlessur bhavish singh <arunmoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> "One of the wireless points has been encrypted with WEP keys.  At one end
> one of the hackers are using aircrack-ng tools to hack the wep keys.
> How can I use tools from kismet to audit it and stop the retrieval of the WEP key??"

You can't. As has already been pointed out this is not what Kismet
does and not what it's meant to do. At least not in the sense of
stopping someone already in progress cracking a WEP key. Kismet is an
auditing tool. There is no tool that can magically intercept when
someone is trying to crack something and kick them off the air.

You can't intervene with that they are doing, but I guess that if you
used Kismet as an audit tool to survey your Wifi, you'd "notice" that
you are using WEP (weak) and then could go and reconfigure the APs to
use WPA. If we suppose that you made this change on the AP before this
mythical "hacker" completed getting a valid WEP key then you could I
suppose say  you used Kismet to stop this.