[lugm.org] 19th anniversary of LUGM and open source in Mauritius (kind of...)

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Thu May 30 09:47:18 UTC 2019

Dear all,

On 18 Nov 2000, the Mauritius Linux User Group (MLUG) was born. Today,
about 19 years later, it has become the Linux User Group of Mauritius (or
Meta) (LUGM).

Next year, LUGM will be 20 years old and, for me, we need to celebrate big,
both for LUGM but also for the open source movement. I remember that when
we started in 2000, only a few people in the island were aware of open
source and we had to do a lot of advocacy. Today, the situation has changed
and everyone wants to be involved with open source. This is a great thing
of course but, as precursors, I believe that we need to have some more
visibility.

Anyway, I am proposing to the Managing Committee and to other members of
LUGM (+ members of other "open source" associations) that we organise the
19th anniversary properly. Nothing too complicated but we need to be
visible again.

Then, next year, we can organise a big event (like a conference or
something) to commemorate our 20 years and we won't have a lot of issues
finding sponsors, etc.

What do you think?

Avinash

--
*Avinash Meetoo*
*Husband and dad in the Noulakaz family*

*LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/avinashmeetoo> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/AvinashMeetoo> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/avinashmeetoo> | Google+
<https://plus.google.com/+AvinashMeetoo> | YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/user/avinashmeetoo>*
37D Bernardin de St Pierre Avenue, 72350 Quatre-Bornes, Mauritius
Mobile : +230 5493-9394 <+23054939394>  |  Home : +230 424-5883
<+2304245883>
Email : avinash at noulakaz.net  |  Web : www.noulakaz.net