[lugm.org] Future of Keyboards

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 4 16:42:07 UTC 2019

Touch typing and typing efficiency isn't something that develops by
itself, at all. I have many colleagues who hunt and peck after being in
the industry for years or decades.

Touch typing takes deliberate practice and training -- it's made much
easier with a program, and there are many free ones. The programs
usually show you an on-screen picture of the keyboard, so that you don't
look at your fingers when typing.

Btw, the blank keys are totally optional and a personal choice. Many
folks agree with you, and want labels on the keys even if they can touch
type. There are certainly downsides to the blank keys.

Cheers,
Navin.