[lugm.org] Fwd: Help us to convince our representatives

Jheengut Pritvi z.coldplayer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 17:30:52 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Katharina Nocun <info at my.fsfe.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 15:23
Subject: Help us to convince our representatives
To: Jheengut <z.coldplayer at gmail.com>

Dear Jheengut,

Convincing decision-makers why more public code would benefit us all
should be easy. There are so many good arguments for putting publicly
funded code under a Free Software licence: Tax savings, transparency,
and innovation – just to name a few. But, in practice, we experienced
that there are still a lot of basics that need to be explained. Starting
with: What is Free Software?

In order to reach our goal to make Free Software licences the default
setting in public administration, we need to convince our
representatives that this demand is in their best interest. That is why,
in preparation for the upcoming elections of the EU parliament, we
compiled a policy brochure that presents the most important facts and
arguments about publicly funded code. Today, we publish it under a
Creative Commons licence so that you and everyone else are free to use
it as support for convincing your candidates.

    Download the brochure now:
https://fsfe.org/campaigns/publiccode/brochure

The publication answers decision-makers' most common questions and
refutes widespread misunderstandings about Free Software. With the help
of several leading experts from various ICT-areas, we present successful
Free Software use-cases and inspiring legislation that show: change is
already taking place. Overall, the brochure provides practical guidance
for moving forward in modernising public infrastructure and hints how
procurement guidelines can and should be updated to ensure Free Software
is included.

Among the contributions, featuring experts from various fields, is an
interview with Francesca Bria, Chief Technology and Digital Innovation
Officer for the City of Barcelona, who drives the modernisation of
Barcelona's public infrastructure. She says: "The Barcelona City Council
supports the FSFE's campaign 'Public Money, Public Code', because we
need alliances to make Free Software the default setting in the public
sector. The digital public infrastructure that we use should be a public
good, owned and controlled by the citizens."

    Download the brochure now:
https://fsfe.org/campaigns/publiccode/brochure

In May, the electoral campaigns for the European Parliament elections
will take place. We hope that our publication will support citizens,
organisations, and activists who will engage in debates with candidates
running for office this time.

The project was made possible by voluntary donations from many FSFE
supporters. We are very grateful for this support. Indeed, professional
printing and international shipping is costly. So, if you decide to help
with one more donation, you directly help us to increase the number of
printed copies we give out to local initiatives for free.

    Donate now: https://my.fsfe.org/donate

Thank you for your support of the 'Public Money, Public Code' campaign.
Together, we can convince our representatives to make Free Software
licences the default setting in the public sector.

Kind regards,

Katharina Nocun,
Coordinator for the PMPC policy brochure

PS: By becoming a sustaining member of the Free Software Foundation
Europe, you support this and other campaigns that aim to empower users
and society to control technology. Join our movement now and support the
struggle for a more sustainable and emancipatory digitalisation:
https://my.fsfe.org/support

--
Katharina Nocun - Free Software Foundation Europe e.V.
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany.

You receive this email because you signed the "Public Money, Public Code"
open letter and want to stay in the loop.

To unsubscribe from this and any future mailings concerning "Public Money,
Public Code", follow this link: