[lugm.org] Active

selven pcthegreat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:48:38 UTC 2016

Ubuntu is a pretty safe bet for a home user,  while at the same time
providing being user friendly and having a large enough community.

here's a trick to security,  remember when you used to write essays for gp
when you were at school?  the more words you wrote,  the more probability
of errors/flaw you encounter.

simmilarly disabling stuffs you dont need will harden your system (note
disabling stuffs randomly isn't a good thing too,  investigating abt it
then reading the docs is a good way to do it).

and like ajay pointed it out,  applying security patches helps.

one particular thing you need to be aware of when using any system whether
windows,  linux or bsd,  is that whatever foreign input you receive uses a
potentially vulnerable library,  unless you decide to go and have look
inside each of these,  sticking to recommended strategies to secure your
system is the easiest way out.

now,  you may have the most secure system on earth,  but if you do not
understand what you are doing with it or how you organize your
infrastructure around it,  it is still an insecure system.

to start try,  playing with netstat,  iptables,  chmod and ps. those are
just basic stuffs,  but you will start having an idea of what is going on
in your system and will start the ask questioning process in your head.

besides,  Mauritius is small,  meeting up in real life or hanging out on
irc will help, but only if you dare to ask questions rather than hide
behind ego like some people do.

there is always that balance between usability and security that you need
to always consider.  i'd like to recommend you to follow us,  but that wud
be spam.

as for a split,  this thread isnt really the place for this talk, people
didnt like the way things were going, they left,  but thats on an
individual level,  i myself haven't left.  even though i may have diverging
opinions about how things were going.

i hope i have answered your question. writing from a phone,  so plz
disregard typos.

sincerely
selven (a|t)  hackers.mu