[lugm.org] Off topic : Lost Java Skills

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Mon Oct 3 08:01:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

Java is not a *sexy* language. Yet, Java and C# are used by a majority of
programmers (some say > 90%) to create real software solving real problems
(think governments, banks, hospitals, military, etc.). These "professional"
programmers generally work from 9:00 to 16:00 then go home without ever
blogging on programming, asking something on stack overflow, etc. They are
essentially invisible yet form part of the large majority.

Geeks like us are in the minority and tend to favour the latest and coolest
things.

As for your question: Java (and C#) are used because, well, they work.

Avinash

On 3 October 2016 at 11:32, Jheengut Pritvi <z.coldplayer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not all languages need these concepts, especially hardware languages like
> Verilog, VHDL, assembly languages.
>
> These concepts arise to reduced programming errors and be more efficient
> with High Level Languages.
> Fortran being the oldest high level language had its Object-Oriented
> programming interface officially unveiled in 1995 after almost 30 years it
> was created.
>
> What is the advantage of java over other programming languages other than
> being portable to many architectures?
>
> On 30 September 2016 at 06:10, Palm Tree <timeofsands at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I saw someone requesting advice for having lost his java skills.
>>
>> I know this is off topic for a linux group but some simple tips which are
>> of general benefit :
>>
>> In programming languages, concepts recur. For each language, the syntax
>> and some concepts change.
>>
>> The skeleton of programming is:
>> 1. data types, variables and operators
>> 2. getting user input and output
>> 3. conditionals
>> 4. loops
>> 5. arrays
>> 6. casting
>> 7. pointers
>> 8. functions and templates
>> 9. objects and classes
>> ..abstraction
>> ..constructors
>> ..destructors
>> ..encapsulation
>> 10. inheritance and polymorphism
>> 11. interface
>> 12. overloading
>> 13. threads
>> 14. working with files
>> 15. exceptions
>> 16. available functions/classes networking for networking.
>> 17. the shortcuts e.g. the enum of java can be seen as a shortcut.
>>
>> All languages don't have all of the above it depends
>> So, if you grasp these concepts, you can learn as many languages as you
>> like. So as not to forget, you need to keep a reference ready at hand, your
>> own notes or a good compilation with the syntax, description and a short
>> example of use. Good programmers don't memorise it all,they make good use
>> of the documentation.

> lugm.org/

*Avinash Meetoo*
*Founder and CEO of Knowledge Seven*

*LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/avinashmeetoo> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/AvinashMeetoo> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/avinashmeetoo> | Google+
<https://plus.google.com/+AvinashMeetoo> | YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/user/avinashmeetoo>*
4th Floor Ébène Heights, 34 Ébène CyberCity, Mauritius (map
<http://www.knowledge7.com/location>)
Mobile : +230 5493-9394 <+23054939394>  |  Office : +230 403-4456
<+2304034456>  |  Fax : +230 403-4300 <+2304034300>
Email : avinash at knowledge7.com  |  Web : www.knowledge7.com