[lugm.org] Linux meetup on Saturday (12:15 to 15:00)

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 18:56:30 UTC 2015

HI Ashvin,

Once I was on a business line, and I was getting 110 ms to the US. Imho, this is still quite huge, given that we are increasingly moving to interactive services such as voip, gaming, Internet Messaging, and now, Augmented Virtual Reality.
Let's take a scenario: An ISP such as Emtel decides to give 10 Mb/s packages for consumers while also work towards achieving relativly low latency (< 150ms). Wouldn't that be a tie breaker among the ISPs ? All of them are selling more or less the same packages 10 Mbit/s capped. What can really differentiate them ? Latency !
"Sun" on twitter moved from Orange to Emtel Airbox after they were offering 120ms latency to gaming servers. Emtel Airbox was a very promising service, until ... their latency suddenly jumped to > 300 ms for gaming servers. Guess who is going to lose customers, as soon as it got them :p ?