[lugm.org] My adventures with the Mauritius Internet Exchange Point

selven pcthegreat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 08:31:47 UTC 2015

"so this sentence “I sincerely hope that the Mauritius Internet
Exchange Point fixes the latency issue.” … is quite incorrect;  what
you mean is:  “i sincerely hope that the two networks resolve their
peering problems”."

<-- I remember some years ago, we had some similar discussion on the lug,
nothing ever changed, People keeps ranting and calling support and
and writing letters or change ISPs. Nothing really changed, or seems to
change if we just "wait for isp" to decide to be do anything, last time
Nishal came to Mauritius, he did a really nice presentation and talk to get
those Mauritian ISPs to actually get into it, it seems they don't really
care, they seem to have come just for the food and tea.

In some situations, a form of dictatorship would have been better.

I remember around last time in 2013, Nishal, I quote, said : "i've spent
many hours speaking to your regulator, while i was in MU.  i think you
would be pleasantly surprised as to how much they actually *do* care.  i
think, nay know, that they would really value some intelligent,
constructive input from civil society groups on elements of mauritian
services that need improvement.  could you author a well written brief on
this to them?"

Naa, 2 years gone by, and we are still getting crappy service :p.

MIU peoples might give a better reply on the "how isp values some
intelligent and constructive input from civil society" :p

I keep saying it, democracy will never work in that country, even for the
internet.

As for Mauritians having to host services or make some interesting services
to get other ISP to force peering, this shouldn't be the case, decent local
latency should be something IN the service itself, not something people
have to work for!

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Loganaden Velvindron <gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Sorry Nishal, I meant ISPs, not IXPs.
>
> For the XMPP server, it would *really* help if we could get latencies of
> around 2-20ms across the different Local ISPs. Don't you think so ?
>
> I have a 10Mb/s upload speed, and I think that for a voice call among
> people in Mauritius is a good idea.
>
> Btw, Nishal what is your opinion about putting probes such as RIPE atlas
> probes between different Local ISPs to see the latency among them to raise
> awareness of the peering problems ?
>

> On Friday, 23 October 2015, 12:05, Nishal Goburdhan <
> nishal at controlfreak.co.za> wrote:
>

> On 23 Oct 2015, at 08:57, Loganaden Velvindron <gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Cyril,
>
> It doesn't use peer-to-peer, as far as I know. However, if we had a viber
> server in Emtel datacenter, we can leverage a low latency across different
> IXPs to get better quality.
>

> no this is incorrect.
> in its life cycle, a packet will not traverse _different_ IXPs.
> there is no economic model for that.
> i would be interested to see a traceroute showing otherwise.
>

> It wouldn't matter if the viber customer is at Orange, or Bharat. As long
> as there's good peering, the latency will be ok, and so will the voice
> quality.
>
> We could also host our own XMPP server somewhere in Mauritius, and set up
> a service :-D
>

> this, is what you want to do!
> so what's stopping you?
>

> On Friday, 23 October 2015, 10:23, Cyril Bouthors <cyril at boutho.rs> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM, Loganaden Velvindron <
> gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I have horrible voip quality with viber when I talk to Mauritian across a
> different ISP. I have 30Mb/s, whereas she has 10Mbit FTTH. Here bandwidth
> does not help, it's latency :)
>
> Same goes for gamers hosting matches within Mauritius, but across
> different ISPs.
>

> Does Viber use peer to peer technology for calls?
>
> --
> Cyril Bouthors http://cyril.boutho.rs/

*Pirabarlen Cheenaramen *| $3|v3n
L'escalier

mobile: +230 549 24 918
<god at hackers.mu>
blog <http://thegodof.net> || fb <http://godify.me> || pgp
<http://hackers.mu/pgpselven.txt>
/*memory is like prison*/
(user==selven)?free(user):user=malloc(sizeof(brain));
P Save electricity & disk space. Cat this mail to >/dev/null 2>&1 after use.