[lugm.org] Introduction

jinformatique at riseup.net jinformatique at riseup.net
Fri May 29 09:59:59 UTC 2015

Hello LUGM team,

I would like to introduce myself as I'm following you since some months
but never had time to write you an email.

I'm Jean Elchinger, 32 years old, PHP web developer and enthusiast
GNU/Linux user and passionate about FOSS and IT security. My wife is
from Mauritius and I met her in Paris during her studies. Now we live
near Strasbourg with a wonderful baby girl.

Since 2006, I went to Mauritius with my wife seven times (each time for
just a month or so) at my in-laws place and each time I enjoyed it more.
I was looking for some cybercafé that would run GNU/Linux or found a way
to meet people passionate about free and open source software. I did not
think to look for a LUG. It's only the last time I was there in August
2014 that I read in the newspaper about the debacle on the new
Biometricks ID Card with Ish Sookun (a passionate blogger, a Linux
enthusiast and a Free & Open Source Software advocate). Now I was
hooked! So I googled about him, watched the youtube video you posted,
started to read hacklog.in blog, discovered the LUGM website and so on.
But I did not had the opportunity to meet you guys because it was the
end of my holidays here. So I continued to read and follow online about
your meetups and subscribed to this mailing list.

I hope to be able to share some tips about security and privacy because
since Edward Snowden revelations, I want to start a blog describing how
to use tools for using encryption and other related stuff for beginners.
I am a big fan of Linux Action Show [1] and the prism break website [2].
Does someone know about it?

Next time I come to your beautiful island, I hope to come to LUGM and
say hi!
Thanks.
Jean

[1]: http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/show/linuxactionshow/
The worlds #1 Linux podcast. A weekly show that covers the best in the
open source and Linux world. Get a solid dose of Linux, gadgets, howto,
reviews, and news every week!
[2]: http://prism-break.org/
Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore and
Tempora.