[lugm.org] Swift to be open sourced

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 18:55:50 UTC 2015

 Open Source programming language means that the whole implementation is available under an Open Source license. There are a lot of issues involved when open sourcing stuff like swift. You need to get the clearance of lawyers. This is complex, due to US laws that govern patents.
Apple has been a heavy consumer of BSD licensed Open Source which fits their business model. It's interesting to point out that Apple does open source a few stuff. It's unlikely that it will use the GPL for swift. Regardless of the license, what matters is how much man power Apple is going to put to maintain the Linux port of swift.