[lugm.org] Old security problems and new solutions

z.coldplayer at yahoo.co.uk z.coldplayer at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 15:25:59 UTC 2015

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Beach Samurai
> <beach.samurai at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Are linux users prone to such attacks?
> > I moved from windows to ubuntu because i thought linux was
> > impervious to such attacks unless something got installed on the
> > kernel....>

Having a rootkit installed is a different beast to tackle, but this kind
of exploitation is using a kind of buffer overflow to run arbitrary code ,
ie the xz program had access to a particular RAM address it should not
and then making that RAM address accessible to malicious code. In the
end the OS policies/capabilities are not controlling that area so it can
do anything .