[lugm.org] Upcoming meetup

Ish Sookun ish at hacklog.in
Wed May 28 16:39:27 UTC 2014

Hello,

The Mauritian Government Portal is hosted locally on way better hardware.
Accessing the Gov portal within the country should definitely be easier. On
the other hand, defimedia.info looks like being hosted in US. Aww! That's
quite far from us. The type/config of the server could affect the overall
performance too. Like in the case of a dedicated server or even a VPS, some
more fine tuning could be brought.

I don't know the infrastructure that hosts defimedia.info but 3rd-party
tools can help in assessing the slow performance & provide suitable
suggestions. For example, GTmetrix.com is one such tool. In fact, we had
these "website performance" discussions during MSCC Code & Coffee sessions.
I recall a couple of stuffs we discussed about fine-tuning the Apache
server based on the GTmetrix report.

Surely, sysadmins around have the required skills to fine-tune the server
config ;) and web developers could ensure the Joomla CMS is well configured
too.

Cheers!

Ish Sookun

- Geek by birth ... Linux by choice.