[lugm.org] OpenSSH is in financial danger

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 08:11:40 UTC 2014

Dear All,

The OpenBSD project produces a secure Operating System known as OpenBSD and also
leads OpenSSH & PF development, which is one of the most widely
    used Open Source software
in the world.

Due to the high cost of running such an infrastructure, we are short
    of funds this year :-(

Donations -- no matter how small -- are highly welcomed:
http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html

Please note that you will not have to deal with Theo de Raadt. He is not involved in the OpenBSD
Foundation.

(If you know anybody who can help make a large corporate donation,
    please let me know)

(For people who are interested: please find below Bob Beck's -- OpenBSD foundation director reply)

Just to bring this issue back to the forefront. In light of shrinking funding, we do need to look for a source to
cover project expenses.  If need be the OpenBSD Foundation can be
involved in receiving donations to cover project electrical costs. But the fact is right now, OpenBSD will shut down if we do not have
the funding to keep the lights on. If you or a company you know are able to assist us, it would be
greatly appreciated, but right now we are looking at a significant
funding shortfall for the upcoming year - Meaning the project won't be
able to cover 20 thousand dollars in electrical expenses before being
able to use money for other things. That sort of situation is not
sustainable. On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Theo de Raadt <deraadt at cvs.openbsd.org> wrote:
> I am resending this request for funding our electricity bills because
> it is not yet resolved.
>
> We really need even more funding beyond that, because otherwise all of
> this is simply unsustainable.  This request is the smallest we can
> make.
>
> -------
>
> Hi everyone.
>
> The OpenBSD project uses a lot of electricity for running the
> development and build machines.  A number of logistical reasons
> prevents us from moving the machines to another location which might
> offer space/power for free, so let's not allow the conversation to go
> that way.
>
> We are looking for a Canadian company who will take on our electrical
> expenses -- on their books, rather than on our books.  We would be
> happiest to find someone who will do this on an annual recurring
> basis.
>
> That way the various OpenBSD efforts can be supported, yet written off
> as an off-site operations cost by such a company.  If we reduce this
> cost, it will leave more money for other parts of the project.
>
> We think that a Canadian company is the best choice for accounting
> reasons.  If a company in some other jurisdiction feels they can also
> do this successfully, we'd be very happy to hear from them as well.
>
> I am not going to disclose the actual numbers here.  Please contact me
> for details if serious.
>
> Thanks.

Kind regards,
//Logan