[lugm.org] LibreSSL gaining momentum

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 18:41:09 UTC 2014

There's a great video explaining LibreSSL and how we differ from OpenSSL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4psTQ1sX7s

I've been working on exploit mitigation in BIND, which will be released very soon, and this significantly improves the security of BIND. I agree that more can be done to improve DNS and DNSSEC security.

I agree that writing secure code in C is difficult. I believe that bounded-buffer operations (strlcat/strlcpy), strict IPC API, dropping privileges as soon as you don't need it, and sandboxing help mitigate security issues.

As for the ciphers, I would welcome them in OpenSSH if they're are reasonably licensed under an a liberal license :-)

I'm also interested in improving Internet's Security by pushing new security ideas into popular Open Source software. I also believe that a lot can be gained from formal analysis & other theorems that can be used to improve security particularly for LibreSSL crypto framework to avoid another issue like CCS injection :-)

//Logan
C-x-C-c