[lugm.org] Linuxfest 2013

Jochen Kirstätter lugm at ios.mu
Tue Oct 29 14:05:00 UTC 2013

Hi selven,

[Emtel USB dongle]
On 10/29/2013 05:41 PM, selven wrote:
> though seriously, I have no clue how to use that on nix. Never used it
> on a nix box.

Works as a normal, serial modem. Just use USB ports... Either you use
the graphical Network Manager or for console-lovers: wvdial and
following options in /etc/wvdial.conf:

[Dialer Defaults]
New PPPD = yes
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT

; optional pin
[Dialer pin]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Init1 = AT+CPIN=1234

[Dialer emtel]
Phone = *99#
Username = emtel
Password = emtel
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 3774000
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init4 = AT+cgdcont=1,"ip","web"
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem

Then you can connect like so:

$ wvdial emtel

This will establish the dialing and then dispatch the process to pppd.
Also, check your [ch|p]ap-secrets for matching username & password.

Works like a charm and I'll have one dongle on my office router, as
fail-safe in case that the default WiMAX connection has an issue...