[lugm.org] Linuxfest 2013

Tejas Pagooah tejas at pagooah.com
Thu Oct 17 15:47:00 UTC 2013

Good evening everyone. I’m Nirvan.

As Ish Sookun mentioned before, I conceptualized some logos for LUGM lately to be used for the Linuxfest 2013 and likewise, the logo which the LUGM could use officially everywhere. One more thing, the logo thingy was something which was to be done long before, like 10 years back.

So clear out the confusion and misconceptions in your minds and as well as to respond to your questions, I’m writing this mail.

--

“I don't understand the 2000 in the proposal 3. (I am tempted to choose the proposal 3 without the 2000 though :p (maybe with the registrar id or some other related number).

Nice logos nirvan.”

Well, I guess 2000 was the year in which LUGM was created by Avinash Meetoo. Next, it’s a retro type logo which is fully CMYK with respect to printing house specifications and retro designs usually include year of creation or the “SINCE XXXX” tag.

Thanks Selven!

“Nice work! I like the badge style of proposal 3.. The 2000 stands for the creation year of LUGM right?”

Exactly Sir! That’s it.

> I don't understand the 2000 in the proposal 3. (I am tempted to choose the proposal 3 without the 2000 though :p (maybe with the registrar id or some other related number).

it logical to assume that, at some point, you'll probably want to print t-shirts for lugm members/participants/linuxfest give-aways/etc.

if you do, be aware, that it's incredibly difficult (and more expensive) to print gradients.

#3, with the "watermark" feature, would likely not be an easy logo to print.

since you'd want this to be eye-catching, it's probably also a good idea to use some colour too;  but not more than 4 colours (again, print cost) b&w, or just plain dark logos, are quite unattractive when printed on materials.

my recommendation would therefore be to choose something with clean lines, that prints easily - perhaps, check with someone that works/owns a print-shop first.

you'll be surprised at how much less pain this will create in your future.

hth,

--n.

Yes, as per the latest discussion we had at Bagatelle, we’re planning to go forward with simple giveaways but for the meantime, we’re still thinking on the T-Shirt.

None of the designs consists of GRADIENTS. They’re all vector designs (.AI, .EPS ) ONLY the background is a radial gradient just for illustrative purpose. Just like mockups.

I worked with printing houses(E.g BLUESTEEL, KLUBBING GEAR LTD) within the recent years and I know the pain. Only companies like Island Haze have digital printing which can print gradients. The colours are plain CMYK colors J

For the Watermark, the whole logo can be overlayed with a white or black layer and be plain. (Normal watermarks)

I’ll try to come up  with simple basic designs if needed.

as far as i remember, ajay got the tux in vector format.

pls ask him

And LUGM does not mean Linux User Group of Mauritius

The M is for meta regarding registrar.

We are not permitted to use Mauritius, so it should stay LUGM without explaining

the tux does it all :)

To start with, the TUX is readily available online in vector for free. I already discussed with Ajay about the penguin/tux last Saturday which is the main thing which has to be part of the logo.  (LUGMV5 has the TUX which is vectored)

Next, ALL DESIGNS ARE VECTOR, there’s no gradient.

I apologize for this issue. I didn’t really pay attention to the meaning of LUGM. I was part of the ‘Linux User Group of Mauritius’ Facebook group, so, I thought this. Editing is fast, no issues about this. I’ll work it out and send you J

I’m trying to help the group as much as I can since I’m part of the MSCC (Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community) and support FOSS.

One more thing, if you are planning to use the simple TUX logo at the Linuxfest 2013, well, don’t expect big things on the flyers and don’t expect more than 30 people in the Auditorium on this day. I know how this works J

You guys have more rules than activities. Just saying…

Regards,

Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah

Creative Director // Student // Penetration tester

www.nirvan.pagooah.com

www.graphicstemple.com

[+] Digital at birth. Creative by default. A Caffeine based life-form [+]