[lugm.org] IXes [was: Announcing a Mauritian tech forum]

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Fri Dec 20 11:17:33 UTC 2013

On 18 Dec 2013, at 7:23 PM, Keshwarsingh Nadan <keshwarsingh.nadan at servihoo.net> wrote:

> > * why isn't this IX working?
>
> Simply because it was wrongly setup.

that's a bold statement.  considering that, at bare minimum, an IX is a simple L2 network, it's kinda hard to stuff that up :-)
perhaps you have more details that the community would benefit from hearing?

> > * what can be done to revive it?
> Nothing can be done, the IX is run, operated & controlled by MT. I've spoken to the guy a few months ago, but they still do not understand the concept and principle of peering.

from my limited view of the mauritian internet space, MT do appear to peer (in MU) with Emtel.
i'd say that they have that working ok.  that's obviously not consistent, but there's nothing to say that that cannot be changed.

and, ttbomk the IX is run by your GoC, not MT.

> > * if the ISPs aren't going to do this themselves, how can we, as civil society, organise ourselves to get this done?
> This is something i have tried to accomplish a few months ago. I have enough space on 1st floor at CT1 (a perfect location since all carriers are present there) along with loads of carrier grade equipment.

CT1 = cyber-tower 1, right?
isn't that where the existing MIXP is located?

> But i have been denied IP space (whether free or paid)... I was simply told to get that done via private space.. And of course a board member at the RIR influenced that decision, after all the doctor knows everything.

i recently started an IX in one of our smaller cities (Durban).
my experience in getting resources from the RIR was relatively painless, once i could follow their processes.

as ajay rightfully said, this is now off-topic for a linux list, so if you want to continue this discussion, we can do it on binary.mu which seems to be more generic  :-)  or unicast off-list.

--n.