[lugm.org] Linux turns the Unix world into a monoculture

Loganaden Velvindron gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 16:52:27 UTC 2012

Diversity is a very good thing in Open Source software. Unfortunately, we are seeing
more and more projects like GNOME, KDE and other 3rd party systems adopting
non portable deps such as systemd, pulseaudio, etc. It's very likely that future releases of GNOME and Xorg
will be Linux-only. I'm not happy at all at the current trend. Even among Linux projects like
Debian, a lot of people are reticent to adopt systemd.

Here's the perspective of an OpenBSD developer who worked for hours on those problems:

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/57589-upstream-vendors-can-harm-small-projects-openbsd-dev/57589-upstream-vendors-can-harm-small-projects-openbsd-dev?limitstart=0

Xorg meanwhile has Linux-only bits that make it hard for other open source kernels to port it. KMS
required a lot of rewrite to get ported to FreeBSD. Xorg is developed almost entirely by Linux developers
for Linux distros.

I wish to remind Linux users that OpenSSH originated from OpenBSD, and we
make sure that it runs on non-OpenBSD systems. We've always been attentive to problem
reports coming from small open source OSes. Case in point, when I wrote PermitOpen None extension for
openssh, i asked the debian devs to test it on their distros to make sure that it works.

Beyond that, OpenBSD has contributed to many upstream projects such as  Xorg, (GNU) Emacs, Firefox, and
the list goes on.

//Logan
C-x-C-c