[lugm.org] University of Mauritius Head technician

Mohammad Nadim Qaadiri Razavi Attari nadim.attari at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:37:05 UTC 2012

On 19 April 2012 12:36, selven <pcthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:

> But then, lemme ask you all a question, you believe something is wrong
> with those lecturers, :) tell me, what would be the "perfect" way to teach,
> study and be tested? (start from a theoretical child XX). If i can't find
> flaws in it :p, you get a free beer.
>
> +$3|v3n

Bon tous d'abbord i don't drink beer. Something else will do ;-)

The problem is not with the lecturers only, but with the system also. Maybe
the lecturers themselves can fix it, individually - as did Joel Adams by
the way he taught us.

Take for example a driving school. When you go there, you not only learn
the theory - "Pou passe vitesse, peze debrayage, apres passe vitesse, apres
peze accelerateur doucement et en meme temps largue debrayage la doucement
... bla bla bla .. Bon monn fini dire toi ki bizin faire. Leçon fini. Alle
ecrire ene rendez-vous... apres a Casernes to faire to test. To piu gagne
to licence. Bonne chance" Do you think the learner will pass his driving
test at Casernes with just the theory and without any practical lessons ?

The same applies in our education system - especially in our field, IT.
Don't expect these fresh graduates to be problem solvers with just the
theory. I believe that along with the theory (say 25%) the class must be
practical (75%) - as did Joel Adams with us. The theory says this. The
problem is like that. Go find a solution.

Now the lecturer's role comes into play. Is he a problem solver ? Can he
assist the student when he's stuck ? Does he have the experience in the
field to tackle the problem ? Has he worked in real-life projects (hence
has he been in the job market) ?

Many questions ...

Nadim